Lead Dev Ops Engineer
To establish a DevOps function within Maintel’s Cloud Services division, with the objective to create velocity around the delivery and performance of our cloud based services, and to enhance internal and external customer experience though the combination of DevOps philosophies, practices and tools. The primary aim of the DevOps function is to provide Maintel with a step change in velocity, scale and a competitive edge in our marketplace.
The Lead DevOps Engineer will work closely with the Head of Cloud Design, Development & Governance and the ICON Infrastructure team (who are responsible for the delivery, development and support of the cloud compute environment and the core network that make up our “ICON” cloud platform) to:
- Design, plan and deliver a new modular application environment, delivered via a combination of new database/application development and API integration with existing strategic business applications (Conga, Salesforce, AutoTask, and Microsoft Power BI). The application environment will offer capability including, but not limited to, web based pricing tools, capacity planning and provisioning/maintenance automation for our cloud services.
- Build on the automation and innovation work already implemented with an objective to decrease manual intervention, increase velocity of deployment and standardise delivery.
- Enable faster revenue recognition and higher customer satisfaction by integrating delivery automation with the frontend (sales quoting, pipeline, order processing) and backend (billing and in-life support) processes and systems to create a simple, efficient and automated end to end “service lifecycle” process.
- Bring together our disparate customer portals to provide a single customer portal that leverages the information and APIs provided by systems such as our sales pipeline, billing, monitoring, application environments and partner platforms, to provide an exceptional and consistent customer experience.
- Use DevOps knowledge and experience to identify innovative ideas to improve and differentiate Maintel’s cloud services.
- Provide ongoing support for all DevOps application environments and integrations and ensure that all applications/integrations are fully supportable and can be patched to protect against security vulnerabilities.
- Implement DevOps and Agile principles as appropriate, including but not limited to customer centric focus, continuous delivery of valuable software, sprints, scrum, technical excellence/design, simplicity & team collaboration.
- Working alongside Maintel’s Callmedia development team in Fareham to identify where common development practice/tooling can be realised.
- Working closely with the ICON Infrastructure team.
- Delivering against required functionality.
- Delivering tangible business benefits.
- Ensuring that security, scalability and supportability is the foundation of all development work.
- Ensuring that all applications, databases, integrations etc. are suitably documented and that day to day management/admin of the DevOps environment can be shared with the ICON Infrastructure team.
Specific Job Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
Skills and Aptitudes
- User Interface Design.
- A base understanding of a Managed Service Provider (MSP) go to market model and communication services such as WAN & UCaaS/CCaaS.
- Be able to network effectively, negotiate well, influence people and broker relationships with key stakeholders within and outside any given project.
Be able to demonstrate an analytical and systematic approach to problem solving.
- Be able to translate desired business outcomes into innovative solutions.
- Be able to communicate fluently, both orally and in writing, and present complex technical information.
- Be able to rapidly absorb new technical information and apply it effectively.
- Maintain awareness of developing technologies and their application.
- Be a customer oriented, eager to learn, dynamic, flexible, motivated, committed and service-minded team player who is able to work independently or as part of a team in a pressured environment .
- Have the ability to manage time and prioritise effectively.
- Have a high attention to detail.
- Embrace and adapt to change.
- Be keen to learn and help improve systems and processes.
- Specialist knowledge of DevOps within a cloud environment, including private cloud platforms, public cloud IaaS (AWS/Azure, etc.) environments and hybrid architectures.
Working experience of service provider DevOps environments.
Working experience of Agile development and Continuous Delivery principles.
- Have a minimum of 3 years, hands on, applicable experience in a DevOps environment.
Essential Key Skills
- Automation skills, i.e. VMware orchestrator, Ansible, CHEF and/or Puppet etc.
- PowerShell or other scripting languages, i.e. Python, Ruby, bash etc.
- Web development such as Django, PHP etc.
- Web Technologies, web servers, proxy servers, reverse proxy servers, email servers etc.
- Microsoft SQL.
To apply, please send your CV