OPERATIONS MANAGER, MECHANICAL AND ELECTRICAL
Avanti Communications is a leading provider of satellite data communications services in Europe, the Middle East and Africa with significant international spectrum rights and a network covering over one billion people.
The Group has designed and launched a new generation of high throughput Ka band geostationary satellites, in order to address an estimated market opportunity of over $11 billion per annum across EMEA. These satellites, together with Avanti’s highly resilient Ground Earth Stations and proprietary Cloud software management system, are able to deliver levels of performance, service and resilience that have been previously unmatched in the industry.
Avanti’s growing customer base includes many of the World’s leading telecoms and media companies, together with government users with civil and security requirements.
Avanti Communications is listed in London on AIM (AVN:LSE).
Main duties and responsibilities
Working directly on our Global Avanti Gateway Antenna Network you will play a key role in future builds, fault finding and mechanical repair of all our existing and future antennas. You will be part of our team and play a key role in innovating and contributing to Gateway Operations Centre growing success. Proficiency in antenna installations, antenna construction and troubleshooting is required.
To be responsible for all aspects of the project, including but not limited to:
- Analysing, approving all construction data, results
- Implement new process / procedures to reduce all future antenna build costs
- Provide technical support in implementing, maintaining and troubleshooting existing antenna equipment
- Resource, material and spares acquisition for all antennas
- Supervise and Support the building of all new Earth Station and remote teleports
- Support regular Operational teleconference calls
- Supervise and Support local facility providers in solving complex issues with existing antennas
- Monitor and Supervise, when required, all maintenance activities on existing antennas
- Maintain, update, improve all maintenance procedures
- Main focal point within Avanti Operations for all antenna manufactures
- Travel to all HYLAS Gateway facilities ( ≥ 50 % travel)
- Excellent On site installation and test knowledge
- Assist GOC management with:
- Training, Operational Support, Operational documentation, Ground Station Troubleshooting
- Excellent knowledge and experience using test equipment
- Spectrum Analysers, Signal generators, Power meters
- Oversee all inspection and maintenance programs Supervising and coordinating future antenna build teams
Skills and qualifications required
- 10 years + “Hands On” Antenna Mechanical build experience
- Extensive experience with antenna build / alignment and troubleshooting of antenna subsystems
- Experience with civil work, including concrete pad, steelwork and grounding work
- Experience with electrical work, including breaker installation, power cabling and conduit work following normal safety protocols. Certification would be an asset
- Management and Supervisory experience
- Excellent organisational, management and team working skills, ability to work autonomously and independently
- Knowledge of Satellite technology and RF Transmissions
- Excellent Knowledge of all antenna subsystems
- Experience of working directly with prime contractors and with the ability to discuss ideas and concepts with the prime contractor with authority
- Provide technical support for new equipment to be installed on site
- Hardware Hands-on, Installation, Start-up, Troubleshooting, Up-grade of equipment.
- Fluency in English
- Good presentation and customer facing skills
- The ability to efficiently organise and co-ordinate the workload
- Proficient in all MS Office packages and knowledge of Microsoft Project.
- Senior Role within Gateway Operations Group
- Excellent Communicator
- Experience in Ground Earth Station operations
- Experience in civil construction work ( antenna / shelter pads) Experience in electrical (antenna) installation
Remuneration will be related to skills and experience.
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the supervisor/line manager from time to time.