PHP Development Team Lead
Who we are
Gear4music is the largest retailer of musical instruments and equipment in the UK. Launched in 2003 by Chief Executive Officer Andrew Wass, our sales have grown quickly from £12M to £110M in the past 6 years. We’re not stopping there - we grew by more than 37% in the last year alone!
Who we really are
Here in our technical hub, we really care about people. We want you to grow and develop with us in a fully open and supportive environment. We want to hear your ideas and for you to be yourself in an atmosphere that encourages people’s individual personalities to shine.
We pride ourselves on having a real culture here at Gear4music, we’re not an agency, we’re in-house and offer something that’s more than a token couple of beanbags and a PS4 you don’t have time to play. From important things like having a mental health first aider, silly things like our #toastSlack channel, the occasional #movienights to the D&D club we didn’t even know we had!
We’re techy to the core, with hands-on technical management through to board level. We pride ourselves on our flat structure where our directors sit in with the teams and are only a shoulder tap away when you need them. We encourage honest peer review feedback, even if you’re critiquing your boss. We have an active tech share channel for news, updates and all the latest releases.
Who we’re not
- We’re not the kind of people who’ll sell you a job based on gimmicks and recruiter-speak. We know you don’t want to hear how disruptive we are, how unique this opportunity is or how many boundaries we’re pushing
- We’re also not an agency. You’ll have a chance to do your best work here, in a team who recognise that quality matters. You won’t be asked to rush work through because the client hasn’t paid for it to be done properly.
- There is no need for you to bring your noise cancelling headphones to drown out the sound of the endless sales calls, because we have an open plan office where you’re only surrounded by like-minded individuals.
- We truly believe in a healthy work/life balance. Here, our flexible hours allow you to start at a time that suits you, and you’re more likely to be told to go home than to stay late. That means getting home in time to tuck the kids into bed at night or get to that gig you’ve been looking forward to for ages.
- We might be a socially active bunch, but if something’s not your bag, there is no forced inclusion. So if those pints down the pub or board game themed socials don’t strike the right chord, you’ve got nothing to worry about.
What we do
Gear4music sell musical instruments and equipment online. Our range includes over 50,000 products from nearly 900 manufacturers. We sell to over 190 countries, across 20 multilingual websites, 9 different currencies, shipping with more than 15 couriers, from 3 hubs in the UK, Germany and Sweden.
Our in-house tech team build and support the completely custom-built platform we use to make all of that possible. The projects you’d work on might include new user-facing features on our website, tweaks to one of our batch order processing systems, a large-scale architecture rework or an integration with a new courier.
Who are you
Reporting to the Lead Project Manager, you’ll ensure the successful delivery of multiple, concurrent software and business change projects, delivering business value and supporting the growth of our E-commerce and ERP platforms.
Adept at building and maintaining good working relationships, you'll be working alongside our Business Analysts, Technical Architects, Development & Testing teams as well as our E-commerce Director; we are looking for a proactive and ambitious individual with the ability to deliver in a fast-paced, complex and ever-changing environment.
You’ll also need some personality. You’ll get bonus points if you’ve got strong GIF-game, and we’d love to know what you’re into (even if you’re really passionate about a specific brand of water.) We want to hear all your ideas and we want you to tell us what you think.
What we’re looking for
We want to work with like-minded people who set high standards for themselves and the work that they produce. We’d love it if you had knowledge of agile methodologies and experience in a business transitioning to them.
You'll want to:
- Ensure projects are planned efficiently kept on track, within budget and launched on time, in line with the needs of the business
- Coordinate the activities of all project resources (business and technical analysis, development, QA and infrastructure) to ensure project delivery in line with the company’s priorities
- Identify and address project risks, issues and dependencies with the responsibility to escalate actions to the relevant stakeholders, ensure resolution and minimise the impact on the project budget and timeline.
- Own the critical path of the projects you're working on.
- Work collaboratively with the other team members and stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain project milestone plans and ensure due process/best practice.
- Define and document the project approach and plan for delivery, detailing deliverables and measures of success.
- Ensure project benefits are fully understood at all levels within the business and that all teams are communicating effectively.
- Ensure completed projects are adopted and used by the business.
- Maintain and deliver project status reports to Senior Management level.
- Take ownership and responsibility of project change/decision log, ensuring that all project changes are logged, reviewed and agreed by all relevant parties.
You'll be working with our software engineering, architecture and testing teams to create a stable platform, enabling:
- Scalable and resilient applications
- Effective software development
- Safe, easy & reliable releases (working towards CI/CD)
- Testing, QA
What we can give you
Other than the benefit of working with such a great bunch of people, we also really value your wellbeing and want to ensure you have a lifestyle that helps you get the best of your work and your free time. We work hard to make sure you have clear objectives and will tailor your progression plan with what you want and not just what the business needs.
- Great pay, which is never late.
- A ‘go home’ culture where no one is expecting you to be still in the office past your working hours.
- A personal career development plan and regular one to ones.
- Regular pay reviews based on your performance
- A Windows, Mac or Linux laptop, and we’ll buy your IDE of choice
- Health Assured Employee Assistance Programme, helping you to manage personal issues at work and at home.
- A great discount scheme.
- A super generous employee referral scheme.
- Flexible working hours and no dress code.
- Company lunches and social events.
- A weekly fruit basket.
Plus all the usual things you’d expect:
- Share grant scheme.
- Employer pension scheme.
- Eyecare vouchers.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- A great coffee machine and a regular supply of milk (and almond milk)
Tell us what you think
- If this sounds like the kind of team you’d like to be a part of, we’d love to hear from you. Get in touch with our recruitment team and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.