Senior Business Analyst
Who we are
Gear4music is the largest retailer of musical instruments and equipment in the UK. Launched in 2003 by Chief Executive Officer Andrew Wass, our sales have grown quickly from £12M to £110M in the past 6 years. We’re not stopping there - we grew by more than 40% during the final four months of 2018!
Who we really are
Here in our technical hub, we really care about people. We want you to grow and develop with us in a fully open and supportive environment. We want to hear your ideas and for you to be yourself in an atmosphere that encourages people’s individual personalities to shine.
We pride ourselves on having a real culture here at Gear4music, we’re not an agency, we’re in-house and offer something that’s more than a token couple of beanbags and a PS4 you don’t have time to play. From important things like having a mental health first aider, silly things like our #toastSlack channel, the occasional #movienights to the D&D club we didn’t even know we had!
We’re techy to the core, with hands-on technical management through to board level. We pride ourselves on our flat structure where our directors sit in with the teams and are only a shoulder tap away when you need them. We encourage honest code review feedback, even if you’re critiquing your boss. We host regular knowledge-sharing lunches and have an active tech share channel for news, updates and all the latest releases.
Who we’re not
- We’re not the kind of people who’ll sell you a job based on gimmicks and recruiter-speak. We know you don’t want to hear how disruptive we are, how unique this opportunity is or how many boundaries we’re pushing.
- We’re also not an agency. You’ll have a chance to do your best work here, in a team who recognise that quality matters. You won’t be asked to skip writing tests because the client hasn’t paid for it.
- There is no need for you to bring your noise cancelling headphones to drown out the sound of the endless sales calls because we have an open plan office where you’re only surrounded by like-minded individuals.
- We truly believe in a healthy work/life balance. Here, our flexible hours allow you to start at a time that suits you, and you’re more likely to be told to go home than to stay late. That means getting home in time to tuck the kids into bed at night or get to that gig you’ve been looking forward to for ages.
- We might be a socially active bunch, but if somethings not your bag, there is no forced inclusion. So if those pints down the pub or board game themed socials don’t strike the right chord, you’ve got nothing to worry about.
What we do
Gear4music sell musical instruments and equipment online. Our range includes over 50,000 products from nearly 900 manufacturers. We sell to over 190 countries, across 20 multilingual websites, 9 different currencies, shipping with more than 15 couriers, from 3 hubs in the UK, Germany and Sweden.
Our in-house tech team build and support the completely custom-built platform we use to make all of that possible. The projects you’d work on might include new user-facing features on our website, tweaks to one of our batch order processing systems, a large-scale architecture rework or an integration with a new courier.
Who are you
Reporting into the Lead Business Analyst, you’ll ensure the successful delivery of multiple, concurrent software and business change projects, delivering business value and supporting the growth of our E-commerce and ERP platforms.
Adept at building and maintaining good working relationships, you'll be working alongside our Project Managers, Technical Architects, Development & Testing teams as well as our E-comm Director; we are looking for a proactive and ambitious individual with the ability to deliver in a fast-paced, complex and ever-changing environment.
You’ll also need some personality. You’ll get bonus points if you’ve got strong GIF-game, and we’d love to know what you’re into (even if you’re really passionate about a specific brand of water.) We want to hear all your ideas and we want you to tell us what you think.
What we’re looking for
Working as part of a collaborative team of Product Owners, Project Managers, Software Architects, Developers and Testers. You will help to build successful products and drive effective software project delivery, delivering business value and supporting the growth of our E-commerce and Logistics platforms.
You will help to shape, define and refine Gear4music customer experiences. Working with business stakeholders and the Technology team to validate, capture and communicate requirements, ensuring maximum value and the best possible customer experience is delivered.
- Ability to work with senior business stakeholders to understand business goals.
- Experience of working collaboratively to lead and own the process to shape and define the product based on business and user needs.
- Work with senior stakeholders to define & validate requirements
- Work with Software Architects to understand the most appropriate and feasible technical solution for a product.
- Ability to understand business problems to evaluate and propose solutions
- Experience of working as part of a multi-discipline Scrum team to refine and estimate deliverables.
- Ability to identify an MVP and prioritise the product backlog based on business value and user needs.
- Experience of managing a product backlog and working with the team to iteratively deliver prioritised user stories
- Experience of documenting detailed requirements and writing user stories
- Experience of analytics tools to measure and understand the performance of a product to support decision making and measuring project success.
- Ability to understand technical systems, their capabilities, and their architecture
- Understand & be aligned with the Gear4music business objectives and IT strategy
- Ability to coach and mentor other members of the Business Analyst team
- Promote best practices and company policies
- E-commerce experience
- Warehouse / logistics / fulfilment experience
- Agile & waterfall SDLC experience
Example Outputs & Deliverables
- Product documentation inc high-level product goals and detailed process & data flows - software and physical process.
- User story maps, User stories, use cases and wireframes
Don’t worry if you can’t tick all of these boxes! If you did, you might be exaggerating. We’d like to hear from you if this sounds like the kind of tech stack you’re used to working with.
What we can give you
Other than the benefit of working with such a great bunch of people, we also really value your wellbeing and want to ensure you have a lifestyle that helps you get the best of your work and your free time. We work hard to make sure you have clear objectives and will tailor your progression plan with what you want and not just what the business needs.
- Great pay, which is never late.
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays) per year.
- A ‘go home’ culture where no one is expecting you to be still in the office past your working hours.
- A personal career development plan and regular one to ones.
- Twice yearly pay reviews that are not tied to the company’s performance or your current job title.
- A Windows, Mac or Linux laptop, and we’ll buy your IDE of choice
- Health Assured Employee Assistance Programme, helping you to manage personal issues at work and at home.
- A great discount scheme.
- A super generous employee referral scheme.
- Flexible working hours and no dress code.
- Company lunches and social events.
- A weekly fruit basket.
Plus all the usual things you’d expect:
- Share grant scheme.
- Employer pension scheme.
- Eyecare vouchers.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- A great coffee machine and a regular supply of milk (and almond milk)
Tell us what you think
If this sounds like the kind of team you’d like to be a part of, we’d love to hear from you. Get in touch with our recruitment team and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Profit sharing/share options
- Flexible working hours
- Company events & social hours
- Casual dress